1:58 PM

Survey Results Are.....

Posted by Shauna |

With teenage children (girls in particular)...Will you or do you encourage birth control if you know there is a possibility of them being sexually active?

Absolutely Not. This will only encourage them.






16 (18%)
Absolutely. Birth Control has no influence on their decision to be active or not.
15 (17%)
Probably Not. I dont want my child to get any ideas they weren't already having.
19 (22%)
Probably. They are going to have the idea regardless, they may-as-well be protected from unwanted pregnancies.
35 (41%)


There was a pretty good balance of opinions presented here. I am not going to get on my soap box here because you all know where I live and I dont need hate mail, etc. But I would love to let you all go at it with your opinions if you would like!

Have fun and be nice.

8 comments:

The Bowens said...

Ooohh- I like these surveys!! Keep 'em coming. By the way, I was one of the 41%.

Anonymous said...

I am for it since I work in the healthcare industry- Sexually transmitted diseases in particular!
Yesterday one of my clinics told me about a 12 year old girl they had recently seen who has 2 children of her own! This was not a rape victim either- Believe me-kids are having sex- lots of it- and all kinds of it!
I could go on and on and on for days about this....

Anonymous said...

I think you should educate your children on the risks of having unprotected sex. Pregnancy is not the worst thing that could happen to them. AIDS, Herpes, HPV, etc. can hurt them much more. HPV can cause cervical cancer and make it so they can't have children. We all know what AIDS will ultimately do.

I am going to tell my children that people have sex for various reasons. You have to be willing to accept the consequences for having sex too young. If they don't want to get sick or have an unexpected pregnancy they will wait.

I think children will do what they please. Just like adults. As parents we need to give them all of the facts and PRAY they make the decision. Unfortunately, we can't be there 24 hrs a day.

I have a daughter. I would be heartbroken if she came home pregnant or worse. I'm going to give her all the facts. I will tell her I would like her to wait.

My boys I've already started to talk to. I have a almost 12 yr old. I've told him the dangers that are out there. I've told him about sex. I'm his stepmom so he doesn't completely listen to me. I figure if I keep telling him it will eventually sink in.

This is such a debated issue. In the end you do what you feel is right for your children. No one else can tell what's right for them.

Marcy Massura said...

I feel really really really strongly on this issue. It might be the only issue I care about actually.

Not gonna say which way though....I am chicken I guess. I don't want to be seen as something other than what people think of me. Is that bad? Sounds bad as I type it...

But I like this kinda of survey..makes people think.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I think this is one of those surveys where there is no black or white answer.

Children come in a lot of shades of gray, and I think that there is no one answer fits all.

My kids are already being taught that sex is a gift from God and that we hope they will make the decision to wait,and that there are dangers lurking around the corners.

My mom was in the 41% when I was younger and I was outraged that she thought I might want birth control. It made me feel like she was not aware of who I was at the time. Don't blame her, and know that she got to a point with her own kids when she had to pick one of the four choices given.

Ledbetter Fam said...

I agree with Lanxi. There is no right or wrong here. Each child is different. The best thing we can do is educate them early. I mean early!!! People don't realize how young kids are now when they are hearing about sex. It's disgusting. But, I will probably approach the subject differently with each of my 3 children because they are each different individuals. There is no one answer for this. We all know our own kids and we have to pray that God will help us lead them in the right direction. It never hurts to be open, honest, and available to them.

JB

Heather said...

I have thought about this quite a bit since Shauna posted the survey. I have a long way to go before I will really have to act upon anything, since my daughter is only 18 months. If she were around puberty age right now though, without having the REAL sex talk, I would tell her that I would like for her to be on birth control to regulate her periods. This way, if sex hadn't already been an issue, I wouldn't be putting it in her head, and we could have the REAL sex talk when I felt it was necessary. I know what I did as a teenager, and it was before my mom had the talk with me. I was very lucky that I never got pregnant before I was ready.

I know my feelings and ideas could change completely by the time she is old enough, but this is how I feel about it right now. Unfortunately, kids are having sex younger and younger these days, and even if they are raised in a Christian environment, and you think you know everything about them; you never REALLY know it all.

LCFrohm said...

I have no idea what to really think.
I know that kids are having sex younger and younger these days (boy do I sound old!).
Growing up, I went to church every Sunday. I wasn't just a "go to church on Sunday" kinda Christian, I truly lived it every day. So having premartial sex was never an option for me. My parents taught me that it was scared, my church reaffirmed what my parents taught me, and I made the choice to never do that before marriage.
Granted in college, I got a little closer to crossing that line...thankfully I never did.
So I hope my boys and subsequent children are like me and my sister - where we made a choice and knew it was God's will. (gee I don't know which survey answer I picked!)
If they do otherwise, I guess that's a bridge we cross at that point. But I definitely won't offer birth control up to my girls.