8:25 PM

Wafting

Posted by Shauna |

So.....this morning Chase (my 5 year old) said to me:

"Mom, do you know what wafting is?"

"Well, yes, Chase...I think I do...I know I have heard the word before....what does it mean?"

"Well, if there was a smell, you might waft your hand to be able to smell the smell better." (as he proceeds to waft)







waft
(wäft, wft)

v. waft·ed, waft·ing, wafts
v.tr.
1. To cause to go gently and smoothly through the air or over water.
2. To convey or send floating through the air or over water.
v.intr.
To float easily and gently, as on the air; drift: "It was a heat that wafted from streets, rolled between buildings and settled over sidewalks" Sarah Lyall.
n.
1. Something, such as an odor, that is carried through the air.
2. A light breeze; a rush of air.
3. The act of fluttering or waving.
4. Nautical A flag used for signaling or indicating wind direction. Also called waif2.



I don't know about you people....but I was pretty darn shocked that he knew the word waft and how to use it in a sentence. I'm just sayin'....he might be a genius.

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

sounds like it to me!!!

Kelly | Fabulous K said...

I think he is. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. Plus, he is a callaghan. DUH.

Anonymous said...

Ya think some of that genius could WAFT its way over here in California??? Thanks

Kristen said...

Totally genius. He is such a cute funny little bird that Chase. Love him!

Anonymous said...

I had no clue what it mean- sounded like rafting!

~ Straight Shooter ~ said...

I agree! Genius!
My 10 yo Boy Child knows what it means. Only his is more along the lines of a certain smell wafting from him...

BeautifulDisaster311 said...

That's hilarious! Kinda like the time when Drew (as a 4-year-old) was watching Ghost with me and upon seeing Whoopi Goldberg's character, says to me, "She's a soothsayer--she can see the future!" Kids are great, aren't they?!
:-)

Anonymous said...

WOW!